Saturday, August 15, 2015

A Man After God's Heart

On August 15, 1945 there was a ticker tape parade. My Grandma used to say it was because the world wanted to celebrate my dad's birth. Actually it was because World War II had ended, but for my Grandma that parade was for something so much more.

My Dad's childhood was filled with friends, sports, a mother who loved him and a sister who he protected as best as he could. My Dad's father was a factory worker who drank a lot and didn't bring home much money for the family to live on. It was a hard and poor childhood.

Dad can remember wanting to go to school because they had a breakfast meal and sometime that was the only meal he got. My dad is not a fan of apple sauce because he can remember one year in which that was all he ate at home.

My Grandfather passed away when my dad was only 14 years old. After that my Grandma took the family to live with my Great-Grandparents. Dad thrived in High School. Captain of the Football Team, good grades and a loving family.

God called Dad into the ministry. Actually he wanted to play football but he had too many concussions and his mom would no longer let him play. Education became very important to my Dad. He loves to learn and teaches with compassion and grace. Giving mercy when needed and is tough when needed.

My Dad broke that chain that was set by my Grandfather. My Dad became a man of God. Full of Christ's love and compassion for people.

I am so honored to be his daughter!

Thank you God for giving us all my Dad - A Man After God's Heart!

2 comments: